Friday, January 18, 2008

Changes in Attitudes!

May 1st, 2005 was a monumental day for me. That’s the day my daughter was born. Now, that’s not to say that May 23rd, 2002 (the day my son was born) wasn’t life changing…it was different. I look at it this way: the day my son was born was a whirlwind of activity. I was unsure as a new mommy. I was suffering from the baby blues. I was extremely emotional and scared to death. On top of all that, I was trying like hell to make sure no one saw any of that. I wanted to be that happy-go-lucky person. I wasn’t. Eventually, I was….but not at first. In the early morning hours of May 1st, my water broke and she was on her way. Everything changed then. Labor and delivery were a piece of cake and there she was. What changed, you might be asking: I became a morning person. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I mean, I’ve never been a morning person. Ask my friend Kristin about me in high school – she’ll tell you stories of me spending the night with her. The morning would go something like this: Her - up at the butt crack of dawn getting ready, checking email, making breakfast, etc. Me - still asleep. I would have my lazy butt in bed until the last minute. With 20 minutes to go before we were to depart from home, I would jump in the shower, and we would be headed to school – Kristin in perfect hair, matching wardrobe and full tummy and me with wet hair, half dressed and eating a toaster waffle on the way. I know this drove Kristin crazy - so I'm sorry! I was usually ready for school by third period. And it would probably be wise to not speak to me until then either. Sigh…this was me. I went to Auburn…same scenario. Forget those 8am classes. Wasn’t gonna make it. Didn’t make it. I got married….still the same - not very friendly in the AM. I’ve always been this way. My mom used to have to drag me from the bed and put my feet on the floor to get me moving – which infuriated me, by the way! I would stroll into work and it was just commonly known that Jenn didn’t have much to say until about 10AM. Nothing personal…just not awake yet. Now, once 10:30 rolled around and I had a biscuit in me, look out! Boisterous Jenn would be all over the place. I had my son and that didn’t change. The only difference was, I wasn’t getting any sleep! But, when she came along, it changed. I can’t explain it. I’m still known to sleep WAY in on weekends or when the opportunity is there, but the difference is, if I’m awakened early, I’m not that pissed off anymore. Perplexing, huh? Don’t get me wrong, it’s a change I’m glad took place in me. But, how? Did my age have something to do with it? Was it the awareness that my three year old little boy would be curious about his new baby sister? What was it? Perhaps I’ll never know exactly why. But, I can say that it’s glaring evidence that folks change - happens everyday!

5 comments:

martinstone said...

welcome to the morning world! it sucks but its early so who really knows!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I could tell a million stories about you and how you would "almost" always making me late for school. First period, Mrs. Pitts AP English class, I would look over and you would still be half asleep, wet hair, and trying to put make-up on your face! I had been up for hours! I loved you anyway and I wouldn't trade those days for nothing in the world. I love you Jennifen Swab!

Anonymous said...

Your Auburn routine wasn't too much different from your high school days except you didn't actually have to go to class if you didn't want to. I remember many days of riding the transit home and finding you tucked all snuggly in my bed or wherever you had camped out the night before. Of course as most of you know, I don't do mornings either and for the most part, that hasn't changed. So I don't think age has anything to do with it.

Misty said...

Kristin did have that ANNOYING little "baby" alarm clock, though. You know, the one she layed on the floor by the bed!

KristinRanae said...

Listen to Misty making fun of my "baby" alarm clock again! Man, she just didn't appreciate my things:) I wonder if she liked my chicken house shoes?