Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Moments of Truth, huh?

Teambuilding activities are a fun thing for me. You know what I’m talking about…fall back and trust that your ‘crew’ will catch you. Or, pass the orange under your chin to the person next to you – no hands allowed. I love this sort of thing! Call me a dork if you’d like…I’m fine with it. The cheesier the game the better, in my opinion. Bottom line, I want everyone to walk away learning something new about the folks they work with and even learn to appreciate the intricacies. The last time we did this at my office it was my groups turn to come up with a ‘teambuilding’ strategy, I took the approach of getting to know each other a little better. I felt certain that everyone in the office could agree that we take each other for granted because we don’t really know each other away from work. It went well. Learned a little about folks I didn’t know. For instance, there were three folks out of twenty-five in the office that were only children. The twist was that these three were also the only to have tattoos. Perplexing, huh? I thought so. So, tonight this show debuted – The Moment of Truth. It aired after American Idol on Fox. The format is: Lucky guy/girl sits down in front of an audience. They are asked 21 questions (of the 50 questions they previously answered while attached to a lie detector) in front of a few friends and an audience of strangers. They answer these and if their answer on air matches what the lie detector test said they answered previously, they can win money. Neat, huh? It all made me wonder, how many of us would be honest when asked? I mean, if you’re asked a question like, “Have you ever gone through someone’s personal items at work without their knowledge?” I’m pretty sure that everyone would have to say yes and shouldn’t feel uncomfortable about that. It’s human nature…and it’s not like they’re going to ask you specifically who. So, technically you’re safe. Right? But, when the question arises, “Is the reason you haven’t had children because you don’t see yourself with your spouse in five years?” it’s a bit tougher. Especially when he/she is sitting in the studio staring back at you. It poses the question – “Are we honest?” I’m a pretty open book. There isn’t a whole lot that folks can’t ask me. And if it happens to be one of those few things….I’ll elect not to answer you. No hard feelings. I just probably don’t trust you to respect me, my information or my decision. I try not to make it a habit of judging folks. I’ve never been in their shoes. Likewise, I don’t make it a habit of conversing with those that are choosing to judge me. It’s nothing personal…I just don’t have to deal with it. I put enough pressure on myself so I don’t feel like I need anyone else’s. Or, are we honest to a degree? Are we honest to keep from hurting someone’s feelings? Do we lie out of convenience? Do we lie just because we’re pretty sure we won’t get caught? All sorts of interesting questions arise out of this. This show isn’t groundbreaking. It’s been played, in theory, at slumber parties across the world for many years – that’s right! Truth or Dare. The only difference…you have a choice to pick dare and risk having to run around the house naked. Sometimes that might be the better choice…depending on who’s at the sleepover!

No comments: