Sunday, January 20, 2008

Tragedy in your own backyard.

I awoke this morning to hear some news from my husband that I found most disturbing. He’s into weather. Way into weather. He’s part of a weather blog that James Spann is associated with. I won’t get into the details because honestly, I don’t know what they are. He’s always joking that someday “there’s gonna be something interesting on that blog” that I’m going to want to know about. Unfortunately, he was right today. The lead into the information on the blog was James Spann saying he was finding it hard to concentrate on weather because of the news of Rick Burgess’ son drowning. I’m just beside myself. For those that don’t know, Rick Burgess is one half of Rick & Bubba…popular radio personalities here in Alabama. They are syndicated all over the Southeast, however. (I used to be an avid listener before I got my IPOD. Now, I rarely turn the dial at all.) From reports I’ve read this morning, this was a tragic accident in their own backyard. Bronner Burgess was two years old and full of life! It was an accidental drowning and there was a phone call to 911. I can’t even begin to imagine the horrible feelings that they are all dealing with now. I was at my neighbor’s house last night and they have contractors coming in February to get started on their pool. We were discussing cost, maintenance, etc. and someone brought up a fence. My husband posed the question, “Why do you need a fence?” and I quickly retorted with the fact that I wouldn’t want kids falling in - my own or anyone else’s. How very bizarre that while we were discussing this topic, the very reason for discussion was taking place less than 200 miles from me. My heart aches for the Burgess family. They are local celebrities. At this time they need privacy and prayer to try and make sense of all that has happened. I hope they find themselves showered with both. As a mother, I’m speechless. Sherri, Rick and their four other children have all the sympathy I can muster.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did not hear the news until this morning on the way to work. This really hit me hard as I can only imagine the pain that the Burgess family is going through. This just shows us that we never know the outcome of today and should live our lives as if it could be our last. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.